Sunday 20 January 2013

Takes "Five Guys" to make fries?

Burgers are one of those foods that everybody has had at one point and opinions have always varied about which is the best place to have one. I'm still traveling around and stuffing my face with burgers and trying to find that perfect burger. So I finally decided to check out a fast food restaurant that has received a lot hype "Five guys and fries" (around Yonge and Dundas).

The new fast food restaurant is bigger then what I would have expected and has quite a few tables spread out. The space is decorated in a checkered red and white theme that reminded me of a diner from the 50's or 60's era. The restaurant walls are also covered with praises from different publications from both the States and north of the border. There is also a big open kitchen where you can see your burgers being grilled on the flat top and assembled, which is kind of neat thing to see.

The menu is not too big, which consisted a few different kinds of burgers, sandwiches and hot dogs. On this trip I decided to grab a cheese burger and their famous fries.


The regular burger at "Five Guys and Fries" is a double patty and a single patty burger is considered their small burger. On this day, my favourite dining companion and I decided to each get a burger (1 regular and 1 small) and share a large order of fries. The one thing that was a bit of shocker to me was the price of the meal, which was over 20 dollars. 20 dollars for 2 burgers and an order of fries is a lot of money, especially for a fast food restaurant. For the price of the meal I was expecting the greatest burger ever made! The one good thing I can say though is that they were really generous with the frech fries. They would fill up a cup of fries and place it in a paper bag then fill up a metal tray and just dump the fries straight into the bag.

The burger's themselves were good but I didn't think they were anything special. They were better then burgers you would get at a grocery store or at McDonalds but I could think of a lot of other places where I've had a better burger. The meat was fresh and they did a really nice job of caramelizing the the beef patty on the flat top, which gave it a nice crunch. The toppings were fresh and bun was soft and chewy which made the burger really enjoyable to eat.

The giant mound of french fries were good too, they were fresh cut and fresh fried to order. I personally prefer my fries double fried to get a soft inside and crispy outside which I think these fries could have benefitted from. The fries were good but they were too much of a good thing, 2 people eating one large order of french fries could barely finish them.

Overall the meal was good but I couldn't help but feel ripped off for what I paid. The burgers weren't topped with any gourmet ingredients or sauces like at dangerous dan's diner or big smoke's burgers and the fries were good but not great (when I compare them to other places I've been too). The burgers were above average but they don't make me crave them like I do for other burger places. I would've enjoyed my meal more if the price point was lower. I don't think I will be coming back here anytime soon (at least not until they lower their prices)

For More Information:
Five Guys and Fries

No comments:

Post a Comment