Tuesday 15 January 2013

I love tacos


Mexican food has always been a personal favourite for mine, I just love the spices and fresh vegetables placed on top. I do occasionally venture to a taco bell from time to time but that really isn't mexican food, when I really want mexican food I head to kensington market where there are lots of little mexican joints around the area. Kengsinton market is where I recently found what I believe to be the greatest taco shop in Toronto, "Seven Lives".

Seven Lives is located in what only can be described as the tinniest food court i have ever seen. The little taco shop is located in a building along side other little food shops within an area that I can only estimate as maybe 1000 sq feet. There are only 2 tables in the back next to restaurant equipment, where people can go and enjoy their meal. This is not exactly a place I would go for a romantic meal but is definitely a place I would goto to get some awesome food.

The little taco stand has only a few tacos on their fridge menu but each one packs huge mexican flavour.

Fish taco and a spicy shrimp taco

For some reason I decided to go all seafood with my taco selection (and what a great decision that was.) The fish taco was fried perfectly and had a crispy batter and very moist flaky inside and really complimented the mounds of fresh guacamole and pico de gallo. The fish inside of the fish taco could've been eaten by itself with an order of fries but being stuffed in taco shell makes this dish a stroke of genius. Next up in my taco tray is the spicy shrimp taco, which packs huge flavour. The heat from the marinade  for the shrimp wasn't scorching like a fire in my mouth but flavourful and had a lot of depth. The shrimp was piled high with more guacamole and pico de gallo on top. The picture may not do these tacos justice because they are quite large (packs a lot of value for your money.) I had a lot of trouble folding one taco and trying to eat it without half of it falling out the other side. Half way through the taco I finally had the good sense to get a fork, which further increased my enjoyment of gorging on seafood. Lesson learned for next time? get a fork.

The tacos were delicious and I still salivate over the prospect of eating them again and again and again..... anyways, for those that are looking for authentic mexican food with out the bells and whistles should definitely head over to the seven lives taco stand. Seven lives taco stand may be hard to find but it is well worth the scavenger hunt through kensington.

For more information:
Seven Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment