Sunday 6 January 2013

Risottos and Chicken

So I decided to finally try two new recipes from my Gordon Ramsay cook book; a roasted zucchini mushroom risotto and a prosciutto wrapped chicken breast stuffed with sage and ricotta cheese.

 Prosciutto wrapped chicken breast stuffed with sage. This was a bit of a scary dish for me because I've never used sage before and I didn't know if i liked sage or what kind of flavour was to be expected.

The first thing i did was to make the filling; I chopped up a few sage leaves, mixed the sage with ricotta and seasoned it all with a bit of salt and pepper. I did notice the chopped sage leafs gave off almost of floral kind of scent with made me unsure if this would turn out to be a dish that i would like.

Next I butterflied chicken breasts and carefully stuffed them so that filling would not overflow from the sides or the ends. After stuffing the chicken breasts, I wrapped them up in prosciutto and cellophane and placed them in the fridge to set for one to two hours. Wrapping the chicken breasts and refrigerating them helped the breast and prosciutto maintain their shape and didn't fall apart when they were handled further.

The pieces of chicken were then pan fried for two minutes on each side to make the prosciutto crispy and baked in the oven with some thyme. When the chicken was ready I had to remove them from the oven and let them rest for a bit so the delicious juices wouldn't escape.

To go with my chicken I decided to make a roasted zucchini and mushroom risotto.

The first thing I did was halve the zucchini, score them and place them on a baking tray. Once on the tray I added olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice and a laid a few basil leaves on top. I roasted the zucchini in the oven and gave them a very rough chop and then started work on the risotto rice.

Risotto was little bit of tricky thing to do. I had to toast the rice in a little bit of olive oil and then slowly added one ladle of chicken stock at a time to my rice once my pan of dry. Cooking risotto was kind of a slow process because I couldn't just dump all the chicken stock onto the rice because I would just end up with mushy rice.

As my risotto was cooking, I started to sauté some mushrooms off in another pan to soften them up and remove some of the moisture. When the rice achieved the desired texture I combined it with mushrooms, zucchini and a bit of parmesan cheese,

 My Creation

The chicken was a bit dry because I baked them for a little too long but overall the results were quite good. The ricotta was very mild and helped the sage from being too overwhelming. This might be a personal preference but I think the next time I try making this dish I will use a different herb other then sage. Its not that I didn't like the dish, I just feel like maybe something like basil would've worked a little better.

The zucchini mushroom risotto turned out really well. The risotto rice was cooked to a nice texture and was al dente. The sautéed mushrooms added a very nice earthy taste to the risotto which really complimented the roasted zucchini. The lemon that was added to the zucchini provided a bit of acid to brighten it up.

Recipe Information:
Gordon Ramsay's Healthy Appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment