Sunday 29 June 2014

Vancouver Ramen

What would you do for a good bowl of ramen? How far would you go to find that perfect bowl of noodles and soup? My epicure  quest for a great bowl of ramen has lead me all the way to Vancouver, British Columbia. I crossed the country and ended up at "Ramen Santouka" where I found the best tasting bowl of ramen I've ever had. 

"Ramen Santouka" is a pretty well known chain of ramen restaurants with locations around Asia and the west coast of the United States but there is only two locations in Canada, Vancouver and Toronto. The ramen "Shop" was bustling even in the late afternoon with people still ordering piping hot orders of ramen at 2 pm in the afternoon, which is a great indication that this place is going to serve a great bowl of ramen. 

The space is pretty small with a very simple black theme through out the restaurant. The restaurant was very clean but it is not a place where people would hang out for a long extended period of time. I got the feeling that its more of a place trying turn over as many tables as possible, like your typical ramen shop.

When I first sat down I was starving and dying to eat anything they would put in front of me. The servers quickly brought over the menu and I scanned through the menu and immediately spotted the perfect combo like an eagle ready dive and catch its prey.


Kara Miso Ramen + Ikura Gohan

To be more specific I ordered a spicy miso ramen and a salmon roe rice. I was a little worried that the ramen might be too heavy handed with the spices but those worries soon went out the window when my order arrived at the table. The ramen had nice clean tasting broth that wasn't oily and had nice punch of spice. The ramen was topped with tender slices of pork and a variety of vegetables that complimented the spices and the broth. The noodles were cooked perfectly and had a nice texture that a lot of ramen places can't seem to get right. 

The salmon roe rice was a dish I've never had before and wanted to try since it looked so interesting. When I think of salmon roe I conjure up the image of small pin sized spheres that crack and pop in my mouth. The Ikura gohan quickly changed the way of how I looked at salmon roe. The salmon roe that was served to me were soft and the size of pearls from a necklace. When I bit into the salmon row the liquid would explode in my mouth, filling up my mouth with a salty smooth salmon flavour.  The lightly seasoned rice paired really well with salmon roe by helping offset the saltiness and adding another texture in my mouth.

The food was really tasty and very filling. I walked in dying of starvation but ended up walking out one happy (full) camper. I enjoyed my experience at this Vancouver location so much that it has me thinking about tracking down and visiting its Toronto location. If you are in Vancouver I highly recommend visiting "Ramen Santouka."

For More Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment