Tuesday 30 October 2012

Time Gorge Myself with Sushi

So I was wandering around Scarborough looking for a quick bite to eat before I headed out to a movie when my fellow cinephile suggested a sushi restaurant called Ni Ji. This place was quite hard to spot because it was in a small plaza and the sign for the restaurant was a little hard to spot. Parking was not that ample but the restaurant and the surrounding establishments were not that big either.

Once you walk into the restaurant you are greeted with a familiar environment. The decor is prototypical of your standard japanese restaurant and is small and clean. I was little surprise about how crowded this restaurant became while we were dining (I would soon find out the reason for the crowd.)

Our meal at this eatery came with a lot of freebies (YAY FREE); glass noodles, congee, and seaweed salad. These side dishes were really good and were a nice start for our meal. For some odd reason I decided to order a monster sized bento.

Special Bento

This ginormous bento had so much food packed into it that I'm fairly certain that it could have fed a family of four or apparently just me (a very rollie-polly me). This bento had 6 maki rolls, a mound of tempura vegetables, tempura shrimp, 6 pieces of nigiri, 12-16 pieces of sashimi, and finally a seafood salad. Oh, I forgot to mention that all bentos come with an additional salad, miso soup, and green tea ice cream (yes i did consume all this). 

Tempura was neither great nor bad but was satisfactory, it was crispy and crunchy but it just left me wanting more. The seafood salad was really tasty and had a lot different texture. There was the shrimp, the seaweed, and daikon which provided soft, chewy and crunchy textures to the palette. The greatest part of this bento was the sashimi and nigiri. The fish was fresh and full of flavour and made want to keep cramming more fish into my mouth. The fish was soft as silk and almost felt like it was melting in my mouth as I chewed. The rice from the nigiri complimented the fish very well and just made this bento very complete.

This was a great meal and I was very happy with the service and the food at Ni Ji. The sushi was fantastic, which explained why there was such a crowd. Whenever I'm back in Scarborough and I'm itching for some sushi I'll definitely remember to keep this place in mind, because they still have a very expansive that I would like to explore.

For More Information:

No comments:

Post a Comment