Sunday 16 September 2012

Kangaroo any one?

Have you ever said to yourself that you wanted kangaroo or to eat a rabbit sausage? well, i don't know about everyone else but I have and my prayers have been answered. At WVRST anyone can sample the wide selection of cased meats that they offer. There is such an eclectic mix of sausages that there is also something for everyone. To the uninspired and non adventurous types there are different bratwursts filled with different kinds of farm animals and for the those seeking something they've never had before they can feast on such delicacies as the previously mention kangaroo or the beloved Guinea fowl or if you are in the fine dining mood you could always order foie gras sausage (pinky up everyone).

The great people at WVRST have also apparently mastered the craft of making a good french fry (or should I say Belgium fry). I dare the french fry connoisseurs out there to sample their decadent duck fat fries and tell me they are not life changing (well maybe not life changing but they are tasty). There is something about using another animals fat to cook my food that excites that primitive beast inside of me. The fries get even better because the fries also come with their in house sauces, which are either tomato based or mayonnaise based. My personal favourite is the WVRST sauce,  because it taste good and it has also been my theory that the sauce that tastes the best is the one that named after the restaurant.

I've never been to Germany but the best way that I can describe WVRST's atmosphere is what i imagine a Germany beer hall must feel like. There are nice long tables that run through the restaurant where people of all shapes, sizes and species gather for some good old fashioned communal dinning. Some people feel awkward when sitting down to communal dinning but if you loosen up you can meet the most interesting kinds of people and hear the funniest or most entertaining stories (just hope you don't run into the bad kind of interesting, ei. teenage movie axe murderer). During the day, a couple could enjoy the well lit spacious environment to themselves and make puppy dog eyes to each other but when the lights go out the space becomes loud and boisterous as if you were drinking beers in a friend's basement. The people start filling up the long tables and the music is turned up to many decibals higher to a level that is just below intolerable. It no longer becomes a date spot but a place where friends can gather together to drink a beer or catch the leaf game (apparently they show hockey too!).

New comers may be a little confused about how to order food but not to worry, I will inform you so you will not starve to death. I made the mistake of sitting down at a table and waited for a server to take my order and feeling helpless when it the servers were ignoring me. It would eventually dawn on me that I needed to line up at a register and place my order and take a number like at a deli counter or butcher shop. Once you have your number, you can sit down and a server, which I know now is actually not a server but runner, will bring out your food and libations. On a side note, you should still tip your runner because they bring out your food and clean up the mess you are bound to leave behind.

I'll make it known now, I love beer and WVRST has a really great selection of beer which elevates my feeling of like to love for WVRST. WVRST carries a wide selection of craft beers and an assortment of international beers. One thing that WVRST has that make my inner alcoholic happy is the fact that some of the beers come in one litre steins. They also want you to know the quality, and care they put into every glasses by letting you know when they clean the beer tap lines so that every pint is tasty and crisp.

WVRST also a variety events such as industry nights (YAY for cheap beer), live DJ's, beer tasting classes and brewery nights. The are some many events that could appeal to just about everyone that you should drop in and just find out what might be going on this week.

I thought i would finish this post up with a picture of my meal in all of its glory.




No comments:

Post a Comment